The first to be canceled and the last big one for 2020, that’s what happened to DNT this year on the KZNTR calendar. It was virtually all systems go the week ahead of the event when the State of Disaster was announced in March, so to go out there on 5 December and have the event go off really well was a brilliant way to see off the last “big” race for 2020. Being part of the MMS it also gave us an opportunity to touch base with lots of those looking at taking on the 2021 challenge of running at least 4 of the 8 MMS 2021 races.
In the week leading up to the race we were all feeling a little on edge about the event. The weather was forecasted to be interesting and a few things were not running as smoothly as we may have wanted them to be. But it’s often better to be a little on edge and not overconfident in the build-up to a race. Literally the moment we gathered as a full at the Race Village on Friday morning we relaxed and everything flowed. Beautifully. We were waiting and ready for the storm, but instead the sun came out and shone on us.
Here are some of our thoughts coming out of DNT2020:
- 40km is a really great distance to run in a day in the mountains for fit person
- So is 21km a great distance for those who don’t want to be out there for most of the day, but are still quite fit.
- If you are not fit then 10km and 5km are better distances to go for
- Good Vibes are important throughout
- Supportive community is important
- This race is a rough, unmanicured mountain trail
- Compulsory kit is very important
- Ginger beer and eggs are great at an Aid Station
- Rocks can be very slippery when wet
- Don’t miss cut-offs
When it came to the racing side of things there were strong fields in both the men’s and the women’s field on the Marathon Distance which made for exciting racing. Check out the results here: https://drakensbergnortherntrail.co.za/results-page/
There has been some very cool media coming out from the race including this video by Hendrik Steytler: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0ZHhgZ2O48
Relive the race on the DNT FB page here: https://web.facebook.com/draknorthtrail
There were no major incidents, only a few small and minor injuries.
Entries for the 2021 event on 27 March 2021 already filling up. Hope to see you there in a little over 3 months. It’s going to be a little weird being back so soon, but why not…? Visit the DNT page on this website for more info….